Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Undercover Tailback by Matt Christopher


I read weekly with a 2nd grade boy. He LOVES sports... espically football. I wanted to find a beginner chapter book about the subject... so I asked one of the libraians. Right away she mentioned looking at books by Matt Christopher becasue he has written on nearly every sport. When I got to his section in the library I was amazed by both the number of books he has written and the variety of sports he has written on. Books on football, basketball, soccer, baseball, even rollerskating! Although I believe these books would be appealing to many boys (and some girls), they were a little to advanced for a 2nd grader - but not me!
Undercover Tailback is a story that reminds me a lot about the story 'the boy who cried wolf.' The main character Parker Nolan is a notorious liar, so when he believes he sees someone in the coaches office taking pictures of their playbook and tells his teammates, they don't believe him. So with the help of his best friend, Joni, together the two being to investigate and uncover some surprising information. The only downfall I saw in this book was that having background information on the sport you are reading about (player positions, sports vocabulary, etc.) makes the reading much easier to understand and comprehend.

No comments:

Post a Comment