Sunday, February 15, 2009

Cowboy Camp by Tammi Sauer


Avery wants nothing more in this world then to be a real cowboy… but he doesn’t seem to fit the cowboy mold. He doesn’t like beans, is allergic to horses, and can’t lasso a rope. As Avery sits alone at the campfire a “bad guy” named Black Bart walks up to him to put an end to Cowboy Camp. Avery uses his quit wit to inform Black Bart that this is no Cowboy Camp and he is no cowboy. In the end Bart believes him and rides away… Avery is the hero.
I didn’t care a whole lot for this book and the reason why is because of Black Bart. I don’t believe his character brings much to the story. A bad guy wanting to stop Cowboy Camp because it makes good cowboys was a direction I did not see this book taking and frankly didn’t enjoy it. The message of thinking on your feet quickly to ‘save’ yourself and others was a decent message, but I just feel like the story and that message could have been told in a different way, without Black Bart. I was expecting something else with the story and was disappointed in what I got. On the upside, the illustrations were outstanding. The medium and texture the illustrator used made me feel like I was in the desert on a cowboy ranch. The other plus to this book was the language used by the author. “Howdy, y’all” or “little ragamuffins” or “it’s chow time” were all phrases that made me feel like I could understand the idea of this book a little more.

No comments:

Post a Comment