Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Baby-Sitters Club: The Truth About Stacey by Ann M. Martin


Growing up I remember hearing about The Baby-Sitters Club books, but for some reason or another I was never really that interested in reading them. I can guarantee you that when I was researching Graphic Novels for a class project, I never thought I would find a Baby-Sitters Club graphic novel... but here I am blogging about one!
This book is about a Stacey the new girl in town who as joined the Baby-Sitters Club. Stacey has just moved from New York City where she recently learned that she has diabetes. Stacey's problems keep stacking up. First the diabetes, then her best friend in New York stops talking to her, and tensions rise with problems from a rival Baby-Sitter Club. Stacey and her three BSC friends work together to deal with all the obstacles that are put in their way.
I really enjoyed reading this book in the graphic novel format... I don't think I would have liked it much any other way. The pictures were great to read along to and let the reader see the emotions Stacey was going through much more easily. The way the frames flowed was beautifully put together as well. I hope to be an upper elementary teacher and I will definitely use this book in my classroom. I think it is such a great book for non-reading lovers... it makes you read a novel without actually thinking you are reading a novel :)

1 comment:

  1. Hey Emily,
    That's really funny because I can remember watching the movie or tv shows, but I never remembered books about the babysitters club, or graphic novels! I agree with your point about how graphic novels can be great for non-reading lovers because it really doesn't seem like you are reading...BUT YOU ARE!

    ReplyDelete