Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Turkey Bowl by Phil Bildner


The first thing I noticed when reading Turkey Bowl, by Phil Bildner were the amazing illustrations by C.F. Payne. The drawings were so much more detailed than I have seen in most children's books. The expressions on the characters faces is what first grabbed my attention. The frost on the beard of an uncle, the anguished look on the face of a tackled player. These pictures were so life-like and very reminiscent of a Norman Rockwell painting.
The story of book was great as well. Growing up in Iowa, I like many of my friends and peers can related to what Bildner is talking about. Family gatherings, food, football... it's all I know many of us know on Thanksgiving (not to mention the wacky weather conditions that are thrown into the mix). I see myself using this book as a fun fall class read-aloud.



No comments:

Post a Comment