Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Butterflies in my Stomach and other school hazards by Serge Bloch



I loved this book! Serge Bloch painted such an interesting picture of how nerve-racking the first day of school can be for children. In his book Butterflies in My Stomach and other school hazards, Bloch took everything to be very literal. Every page has a fun 'figure of speech' saying on it. Some of my favorites include: "we'd be in a real pickle if we missed the bus," "he was laughing his head off," "we'd be up a creek without a paddle," and "don't throw the baby out with the bathwater." With all these fun passages were even more impressive illustrations. The people in the book were very simply drawn... almost to the extent that they were stick people. However, the 'figure of speech' sayings were bold, exaggerated, and life-like. On the page that said, "we'd be in a real pickle if we missed the bus," there was an actual sliced pickled used as the bus! Where the author wrote, "she told me not to open that can of worms," the black & white stick figure boy was actually holding a colorful can of real-life worms... so cool!
This book is listed as a 4+ age range, however, I think adults will enjoy reading and looking at this book more so than the children who don't yet understand the figures of speech. I know I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment