Monday, March 9, 2009

The Misfits by James Howe


So, that was totally not the ending I saw coming! Colin likes Joe back!?!
While reading the first half of this book I couldn’t really figure out why this was such a controversial book. Big deal, Joe likes boys. He wasn’t forcing it or his views upon anyone, he wasn’t making a big scene about it. He was just being himself. However, after reading the ending, I can somewhat understand why it is lumped in a controversial listing… all because a boy actually liked him back. Blah! I don’t really buy it. I really enjoyed this reading and I think the overall message of kids treating each other with respect and working to stop name calling (because it does hurt) is a much more important message and lesson to get from this book than oh my gosh, someone in middle school might be gay!
This book definitely took me back to my middle school days, which I have to admit I didn’t mind. For me middle school wasn’t the worst time in my life… in fact, I can barely remember it (which can maybe be seen as a good thing-I didn’t have anything super embarrassing/life-changing/etc. happen). I do remember kids in my school who were like the misfits and those that were the ‘popular’ kids. I wasn’t either, I just kinda sat in the middle. I admire the misfits and Bobby in particular. I loved how he came out of his shell in the end and rocked it! I wish I could take a cue from him in that area. I think what Bobby went through in the end of this book goes to show us that finding ourselves and being happy with yourself may take time, but be patient... you will get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment