Monday, March 9, 2009

Babymouse: Queen of the World! by Jennifer L. Holm & Matthew Holm


Babymouse is actually one of the only graphic novels for children I had really heard of before conducting my research project. As I was flipping through the book I was interested in the illustrations more than the words. With just the colors of black, white, and pink... the pictures actually turned out more powerful than I expected while reading the text. The way the illustrator used pink as an accent color and/or hiding it into the pictures in some instances, kept me as the reader interested and seemingly made me pay more attention to the pictures.
But hold on... I don't want to take away from the text of this book. While I must admit that at the beginning of the book I thought to myself, "I am completely lost and have no clue what is going on," as I continued to read I grasped the way the pages were designed and how the story was being told. It is unlike most books in the way it is told because not only is there a story going on, but the book is interacting and 'talking' to you while you read it. At the bottom of some pages you see Babymouse talking to herself. It lets the reader understand Babymouse a little more without having to use dialogue.
In this story in particular, Babymouse wants to by Queen of the World... but she would settle for being invited to super-popular Felicia Furrypaw's sleepover. Will she get invited to the party or head over to her true friend, Wilson the Weasel's, for a monster movie marathon?

No comments:

Post a Comment