Monday, March 9, 2009

Love That Dog by Sharon Creech


Okay, so I have to admit it, I love this book! It was unlike anything I have ever read before which to me was refreshing. The format was different, which I thought was cool… I don’t know I just really liked it!!
When I first picked the book up I was super excited to read it because... I Love Dogs! Even though after the first couple pages I could tell the story really wasn’t necessarily about a dog… but more about Jack and his introduction to and love of poetry, I was still enthralled by the reading. Throughout this book I found myself relating to Jack. Like him in the beginning, I was not a fan of writing poetry. To me poetry was something you had to decode, something that had more meaning behind it than just the words on the paper. When I read poetry it was frustrating to me because I felt like I never really understood the meaning of the poem. Jack made me a believer in poetry again! I loved his words, his poems. It was so simple to see, to understand. A poem can really be anything you think or feel one is. My absolute favorite part of this book was when Jack wrote a reflection to his teacher. She responded by asking him if she could type it up and put it on the board. He was stumped… how could this be poetry, it’s just my thoughts. That exact moment is why I love this book.
I know I will use this book when I teach poetry with my classroom. I just think it’s a great book to show students how poetry doesn’t have to rhyme. It doesn’t have to be difficult to understand. It doesn’t portray strong, emotional, deep meaning (but it can). Poetry can be about anything… even dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment