Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Thrid Grade Wedding Bells by Colleen O'Shaughnessy McKenna

I forgot how much I love chapter books! I literally could not put this book down, reading the entire 156 pages in just one sitting. Third Grade Wedding Bells? by Colleen O'Shaughnessy McKenna is one of many books by this author about Gordie and his friends. This book stood out to me over the others because I was interested in the title. Was it a book about young puppy love and the children having their own pretend wedding?? Was it about two classmate’s parents getting married? I had a variety of ideas and was curious in finding out more. In fact, the book is about Ms. Tingle, Gordie's favorite teacher, who may be getting married and moving away with the schools computer teacher. Gordie and his two friends, Lamont and Lucy, devise different plans in order to stop Ms. Tingle from getting married and moving away.
A couple things I really enjoyed about this book was the fact that it was well-written, entertaining, and humorous. Also, I thought it brought great diversity into children’s books that is sometimes missing. Gordie, Lucy Diaz, and Lamont are all of different backgrounds and ethnicities. It was a refreshing read that made me feel like I was back in my own 3rd grade classroom!!

No comments:

Post a Comment